Presented at GoTo Aarhus 2013
The Government Digital Service is a new unit of the UK Cabinet Office tasked with all things digital. It's made up of designers, developers, systems administrators, product managers and Government policy specialists - all building, running and helping to design large online government services. Our tools include agile, multidisciplinary teams with the ability to make fast decisions; close collaboration between developers, operations and information security specialists; and modern infrastructure and software as a service products. We look a lot like a startup.
This will be a technical talk with lots of culture thrown in. We'll discuss how we shipped GOV.UK, including:
* how we built our teams and technology to allow us to make changes to the live service daily
* how we worked closely with security and auditing colleagues from day one, not just as an afterthought
* how we moved infrastructure supplier quickly using modern configuration management tools and APIs
* how we're now trying to spread some of these practices and approaches around a super large organisation
* details of lots of the mistakes we made along the way